Spam is unsolicited commercial and/or bulk email, comments, etc.
Dealing with spam Edit
Protecting a community from spam is usually one of the tasks of a Community manager.
- Never send unsolicited email to your members. Always ask them to Opt-in to any newsletters etc.
- On mailing lists, restrict posting access to members only
- Require two-step signup for mailing lists (i.e. the member has to confirm subscription)
- Akismet is an excellent spam plugin for Wordpress
- Keep your blog software updated to avoid Security breaches which may allow spammers to take control of your blog
- Consider using CAPTCHAs for non-logged-in commenters (but keep in mind Accessibility)
- Watch the recent changes feed and revert spam promptly
- Add spammers' IPs to your wiki's blacklist
- Requiring users to Login will cut down on spam
- Keep your wiki software updated to avoid Security breaches which may allow spammers to take control of your wiki
Further reading Edit
- Spam (electronic) on Wikipedia
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.